Most applicants currently licensed in the USA will need to apply for a certificate authorizing supervised practice before they can proceed to meet the remaining requirements for the certificate of registration of autonomous practice.
The certificate authorizing supervised practice is intended for persons who have not previously been registered as a psychologist or psychological associate in any jurisdiction, or who are registered in a jurisdiction where the requirements are not equivalent to Ontario’s requirements for issuance of a certificate authorizing autonomous practice.
This section provides information for individuals, currently licensed in a jurisdiction in the United States of America, who are preparing to apply for registration as a psychologist or psychological associate in Ontario.
There are two certificates of registration authorizing autonomous practice available in Ontario.
- For a certificate authorizing autonomous practice as a psychologist, you require a doctoral degree in psychology; and
- For a certificate authorizing autonomous practice as a psychological associate, you require a master’s degree in psychology.
The complete requirements for registration as either a psychologist or psychological associate are set out in the Registration Regulation .
It should be noted however, that some applicants currently licensed in the USA may be eligible to apply for a certificate authorizing interim autonomous practice while they proceed to meet the remaining requirements for a certificate authorizing autonomous practice. The certificate authorizing interim autonomous practice allows applicants to practise autonomously in Ontario for limited time while they complete the remaining registration requirements for issuance of a certificate authorizing autonomous practice.
In order to qualify for a certificate of registration authorizing interim autonomous practice as a psychologist or psychological associate in Ontario, the applicant must be registered for autonomous practice as a psychologist or psychological associate, be in good standing, and have:
1. practised the profession of psychology at any time during the two years immediately before the date of the application for registration in Ontario, and his or her registration is in a jurisdiction:
a) with which the College has entered into a written reciprocity agreement; or
b) that is considered by a panel of the Registration Committee to have registration requirements equivalent to those of the College for a certificate of authorizing autonomous practice as either a psychologist or psychological associate; or
2. holds a current Certificate of Professional Qualification (CPQ) awarded by the Association of State and Provincial Psychology Boards (ASPPB).
Applying as a Psychologist or Psychological Associate
If you are currently licensed as a psychologist or psychological associate in the USA, and you are planning to move to Ontario and begin practising psychology, you may be eligible to apply for a certificate of registration authorizing interim autonomous practice. This will allow you to practise in Ontario while you complete the registration process.
There are a variety of materials that members holding certificates for interim autonomous practice will find of value. This includes the Registration Guidelines; Interim Autonomous Practice which can be found below.
In addition other information is provided which will be of interest to interim autonomous members.
Registration Guidelines: Interim Autonomous Practice
- A – Introduction, B – Terms of Reference, C – Overview of Requirements
- D – Application Procedure
- E – Registration Process
- F – Duration of Certificate for Interim Autonomous Practice
- G – Designation
- H – Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP)
- I – Jurisprudence and Ethics Examination (JEE)
- J – Registration Interview
- Appendix A – Fees in the Registration Process
- Appendix B – Timelines in the Registration Process
- Appendix C – Definition of Practice Areas
- Appendix D – Core Competencies for Professional Practice in Psychology
- Appendix E – Criteria for Evaluation of Good Character
- Appendix F – Language Fluency Policy
- Appendix G – Examination Accommodation Policy