Temporary, limited membership is available to individuals licensed to provide psychological services in other jurisdictions allowing them to provide services to an existing client located in Ontario for a period of up to 12 months. The client must be residing in Ontario temporarily for a reason such as attending school or a short-term employment situation. As well, it must be judged that it would be clinically ill advised or impractical to transfer psychological services to a practitioner already registered with the College. This temporary registration is available through an expedited process at a reduced membership fee of $240.00 plus a $100 application fee.
Those who wish to be registered in Ontario for this purpose, and who are eligible to work in Canada, must be registered/licensed with a psychology regulatory body which:
- Is located in one of the Canadian provinces or territories;
- Has entered into a written reciprocity agreement with the College;
- Has requirements substantially equivalent to those of the College for a certificate of registration for a psychologist or psychological associate authorizing autonomous practice; or
- Holds a current certificate of Professional Qualification (CPQ) awarded by the Association of State and Provincial Psychology Boards (ASPPB).
It is also a requirement that one must be eligible to work in Canada which means one is:
- A Canadian citizen;
- A permanent resident of Canada; or
- Authorized under the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, 2001 to engage in the practice of the profession or a holder of a valid Canadian work permit.
As part of the application process, applicants must indicate why it would be clinically ill advised or impractical for their existing client to transfer psychological services to a practitioner already registered with the College of Psychologists of Ontario. They must also indicate the expected length of time the client will require psychological services while they are residing in Ontario.
Applicants must also sign an Undertaking and Agreement with following attestations:
- I confirm that the purpose of my application for Interim Autonomous Practice is solely to provide direct psychological services in Ontario to an existing client who has located in Ontario temporarily and for whom it would be clinically ill advised or impractical to transfer service to an individual already registered with the College of Psychologists of Ontario.
- I agree to remain in good standing and retain full, active, registration in my home jurisdiction free from any terms, conditions, and/or limitations for the duration of my Certificate Authorizing Interim Autonomous Practice with the College of Psychologists of Ontario.
- I confirm that I am not currently involved in any disciplinary investigation in my home jurisdiction.
- I agree to notify the College of Psychologists of Ontario immediately of any changes to my registration status in my home jurisdiction and of any referral of disciplinary action initiated against me in my home jurisdiction.
- I agree to review, and comply with, the College’s Standards of Professional Conduct (2017) and the Professional Misconduct Regulation made under the Psychology Act, 1991 and all other jurisprudence applicable to members of the College of Psychologists of Ontario.
- I agree to remain in compliance with the Quality Assurance requirements of my home jurisdiction. In the event that my home jurisdiction does not have a self-assessment requirement, I will satisfy the self-assessment requirements at the time of my registration with the College of Psychologists of Ontario. In the event that my home jurisdiction does not have mandatory continuing professional development requirements, I will comply with the requirements of those of the College of Psychologists of Ontario.
- I understand that I will be subject to the complaints and discipline authority of the College of Psychologists of Ontario.
- I understand that the Interim Autonomous Practice Certificate is temporary and time limited, and that it will expire 12 months after the date of issuance.
- I understand that should my application be approved, I will be required to provide the College of Psychologists of Ontario with proof of professional liability insurance, valid in Ontario, of not less than $2,000,000 with no deductible. This requirement is in accordance with College By-law 22: Professional Liability Insurance made under the authority of the Health Professions Procedural Code being schedule 2 of the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991.
- I understand that should my application be approved, the College of Psychologists of Ontario will charge me a membership fee of $240.00.
- I understand that should my application be approved, a Certificate Authorizing Interim Autonomous Practice will be issued to me for a maximum of 12 months.
Prior to completion of the online application, applicants are asked to email Ms. Lesia Mackanyn, our Director of Registration at firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire about suitability.