The College’s Quality Assurance Program requires members to fulfill mandatory continuing education and professional development requirements. A description of the Mandatory Continuing Professional Development Program which contains a description of the requirements is available on the College website.
The new CPD Program is designed to:
- promote continuing competence and continuing quality improvement among members;
- remedy gaps in knowledge and skills identified in members’ self-assessment;
- address changes in practice environments; and
- incorporate standards of practice and advances in technology.
The CPD Program permits members to undertake continuing professional development and continuing education in a variety of ways as best suits a member’s learning style and needs. Members will be expected to keep track of their CPD credits to ensure they meet the minimum requirements.
All members, except for those holding a Retired certificate of registration, are required to complete the requirements of the Mandatory CPD program every two years and are required to make a Declaration that they have completed the requirements at the end of every two-year cycle. The two-year cycle begins on July 1 of the cycle year and ends on June 30 at the end of two years.
The following table indicates when members may begin to accumulate credits and when they will first be required to make a Declaration that they have completed the requirements of a full two-year cycle of the Continuing Professional Development program, based on their certificate of registration and registration number.
When a member’s certificate of registration changes – for example, a supervised practice certificate changing to autonomous practice certificate will result in a change of registration number – the due date for the Declaration will be based on the member’s new (current) registration number, regardless of whether their number has changed from “odd” to “even” or vice versa.
In the rare event that a person has not been a member of the College for a full two years at the time the CPD declaration is due, the following Alternate CPD Declaration will be available for completion:
Alternate Declaration of Completion
1. I became a member of the College less than two years before the due date for this Declaration. Although I have not had the benefit of a full two year period during which to earn all of the required Continuing Professional Development credits, I have worked continuously, and made best efforts, to satisfy the requirements of the Program.
|Current Registration Certificate and Number at the time a Declaration is required||Credits earned between these dates may be counted toward completion of the requirements||CPD Declaration Required|
|Supervised Practice “odd”||July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2021||June 30, 2021|
|Interim Autonomous Practice “odd”||July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2021||June 30, 2021|
|Autonomous Practice “odd”||July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2021||June 30, 2021|
|Academic “odd”||July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2021||June 30, 2021|
|Inactive “odd”||July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2021||June 30, 2021|
The College does not prescribe how members must record and track their CPD completion and each member may do so in a manner that best suits their needs. To assist members however, the College has prepared the following Tracking Tools for the convenience of members who may wish to use them:
1. An On-Line Tracking Form that automatically calculates progress towards completion of the required CPD credits
2. A Downloadable Tracking Form for PC’s that will automatically calculate progress towards completion of the required CPD credits.
3. A Downloadable Tracking Form for Macs that will not automatically calculate progress towards completion of the required CPD credits
4. A Downloadable Paper Tracking Form
5. A Sample CPD Tracking Form.